E-way bill is an electronic document generated under the GST system in India. It is required to facilitate the movement of goods valued above a specified threshold from one place to another. The e-way bill system aims to ensure the seamless movement of goods across different states and enhance tax compliance. Here is an overview of the e-way bill:
- E-way bill is mandatory for the movement of goods valued at or above the prescribed threshold.
- It applies to both inter-state and intra-state movement of goods.
Generating an E-way Bill
- The e-way bill is generated through the government’s e-way bill portal or various integrated systems such as the GSTN (Goods and Services Tax Network), APIs (Application Programming Interfaces), and mobile apps.
- The person responsible for the transportation of goods can generate the e-way bill.
- We need certain information such as an invoice number, date, value, and tax details to generate an e-way bill.
- We also need information about the parties involved, such as the GSTIN of the supplier, recipient, and transporter.
- The e-way bill also includes details of the transported goods, such as the description, quantity, and HSN code.
Validity and Extension
- The validity of an e-way bill depends on the distance to be covered by the goods.
- The generated bill for transportation within the same state is valid for one day for every 100 kilometers.
- For inter-state transport, the validity is typically one day for every 100 kilometers or part thereof, up to a maximum of 15 days.
- If the goods are not transported within the original validity period, we can extend the e-way bill online.
E-way Bill Documents
- The system assigns a unique e-way bill number (EBN) which serves as proof of compliance during transportation.
- The EBN is available in both physical and electronic form. It must accompany the goods throughout their movement.
- The e-way bill can be presented to tax authorities during verification.
Exemptions and Exclusions
- E-way bill is not required for goods transported by non-motorized conveyances.
- The e-way bill requirements may exclude specific goods such as:
- Perishable items
- Petroleum products
- Goods transported within a specified radius.
Businesses and transporters need to be aware of the e-way bill provisions applicable in their respective states and follow the requirements. Non-compliance with e-way bill regulations can lead to penalties and disruptions in the transportation of goods. Consult with our GST expert at FileMyreturn who can guide generating and managing e-way bills, ensuring smooth compliance, and addressing any queries or concerns related to e-way bill implementation.